Our Adoption Story

We intially created this website to update family and friends about our journey to adopting a baby from Taiwan. We traveled to Taiwan in December 2005 and brought home our wonderful baby boy, William Ke-Fan. The blog has been such a hit with family and friends that we have decided to continue it.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What is the deal with dogs and Desitin?

A few months ago, we decided that our dog, Gigi, needed a friend. She is a shepherd mix and is quite destructive when she gets bored. She literally destroys everything in the backyard beyond the point of recognition. She has chewed hoses, gloves, shoes, pine cones, and anything else that we have forgotten to put away. When we cleared everything out of the backyard, she began stripping bark off the trees! Now, that's one desperate dog!

So, as I mentioned, we decided to get a playmate for Gigi. Our vet recommended a silver Labradoodle that was available through a local rescue organization. He was about 8-10 months old at the time and is a cross between a black lab and a white standard poodle. We had never heard of a Labradoodle before, but our vet said that they were great dogs and she was right. He is very sweet. William lays and hugs on him all the time. Mobi (after the mathematician, Mobius) is so layed back. He absolutely LOVES the attention from William. Best of all, he and Gigi have a ball chasing after each other in the backyard and wrestling.

Earlier this evening, Mobi came up to me and put his head in my lap. The first thing that I noticed was that his face was wet (I heard him drinking a ton of water just before that). Then I saw that he had something white on one side of his face. At first (and this is gross, I know), I thought that it was cat litter. Mobi and Ginger have taken to sneaking "snacks" from the litter boxes lately. So, I pushed him away from me and started to clean his mouth off. Then I smelled something very familiar. What is that? Slowly, it dawned on me...What I was smelling was not kitty litter...It was actually Desitin. It took me a few minutes to find, but there was half a tube of Desitin lying on our bedroom floor. Mobi had eaten half the tube!

As strange as this is, this is the second Desitin incident in our household. The same thing happened with Ginger several months ago when we left her uncrated while we ran errands. We came home to find even less evidence than this. She only left us the cap and a tiny bit of the tube. You wouldn't even be able to see the "D" from Desitin in the picture above.

What is it about Desitin that appeals to our dogs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home